Friday, March 13, 2015

Film vs Digital

Hello everyone!

So as you all know I have joined a new photo class this year called digital photography. If you didn't know you can read my post about it here.

Anyway, so one of friends form AP photo is in that class too. I was really excited because she is one of those friends that I don't talk to too much so I was happy that I could spend time with her in this class. BUT she wanted to drop that class. I didn't really understand why she wanted to drop because I thought she would like the class a lot. When I asked her this is what she said, "I think I'm so use to the film camera that when I take pictures for digital I don't get the same feel. I don't know I just don't like it."

First of all what? If you love photography then you should love all types of photography. I mean DUH.

But she ended up have to stay in the class because she is required to take a least 5 class. SUCKS.

Any a ways this got me thinking of the differences between digital and film.

Film
  • when you are taking a picture it is all manually
  • you can't see your pictures when after you take a picture
  • have to learn to develop film and make the prints (the pictures aren't going to just print out for you)
  • no color! black and white
Digital 
  • Pictures are much faster because it's all auto. 
  • You can delete pictures you don't like
  • a lot more photoshop
  • automatic if you don't like or bad at focusing 
Which one do you like better? 
- I like different aspects of each. For film you feel more satisfied when you have a good picture. Each picture for film is a lot of work so when you get a good picture and you print it yourself  you feel very good about yourself. For digital, all it take is as click and you have a picture right in front of you.
-What I like more about digital is color. After years of taking pictures that are only black and white, I am really happy that I can take more pictures in color. Also I really like photoshop.
Do you have to shot differently when switching from digital to film? 
-Yes you really do. I think now I'm so use to it that I know when I have to think film and think digital. For film you really have to think of the lighting. Different lighting can really change your photo a lot. Also you really have to think in a black and white. If you think in color there is not way that you picture will come out the why you want it.

Overall thoughts
Over all I think there really isn't a lot of differences between them. Yeah there is a lot of technical differences because of the way you use them but you do have to think in a very photographic way. I guess it makes sense if the only way you see it is in a film sense and can not grasp it(or the other way around) that it is hard for you. My last thought of it is that you should try out both because think that building up your photographic eye is very helpful exceptionally if you going into it in the future.

That is all for today guys! I am so glad that the weather is getting nicer so I can go out and take a lot more pictures. I will try and post more pictures on my Instagram so if you want to follow me there is a link on the side. Tanks for reading and I'll see you at my next exposure!

-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment